The Happy Medium - does it exist?

Fortune Teller Postcard. Photo by Chicks57.
Sometimes I daydream about odd phrases and words. For instance, there's a meme out there with Fat Albert on one side and "Fatal Bert" on the other, where Bert from Sesame Street is holding a huge bloody knife. I have a dark sense of humor. Anyway, one day I was musing about why it's so hard for me to find the "happy medium" in my life, as I seem to be more "all or nothing." I know that is part of my perfectionism and I constantly struggle against it. But it got me thinking about the different ways even that phrase can be used, resulting in the poem below. The Happy Medium

What is a happy medium?
I have heard this term all my life but don't know that I ever experienced it.
I know it is supposed to mean finding a balance.
Does that happen?
I prefer a play on words:
A smiling fortune teller looking into a crystal ball
That feeling you get when you put on size medium jeans and can still breathe
Yellow paint
I prefer that to thinking of something I can't seem to get right
I write this at 6:53 a.m.
No, I am not industrious, getting up early
I haven't slept at all, yet. I went to bed over two hours ago after nonstop working on client tasks, Online classes brainstorming all sorts of creative ideas Everything needs to be done RIGHT NOW or I am afraid I will forget.
It seems to be this or I sleep all the time, depressed.
Now I sleep a few hours during the day, then I am up all night.
I long to live the happy medium
To sleep all night
To awake refeshed, ready to take on the day
To allow myself to rest
To not have to be thinking and doing. All. The. Time.

Comments

Popular Posts